by guest contributor Patty Joy
Memorial Day weekend is right around the corner, so that means entertaining is most likely on your list of things to do. And whether you are a guest or the host, this salad is sure to impress. While I am someone who loves everything and anything fancy, my gatherings are usually casual & relaxed. This salad fits both of those elements beautifully.
I wanted to do a watermelon salad that was on the savory side, but the fact that I am not a trained chef really came out on this one. All my attempts seemed to be average at best, until I found the right combination of fresh ingredients that created the taste I was looking for.
This grilled watermelon salad is quite simple but elegant at the same time. Grilling the watermelon adds a rustic flavor, while its presentation adds a bit of flair!
* 1 small watermelon
* Micro Arugula 2.5 oz container
* 2 heirloom tomatoes
* 1 red onion
* ¾ cup feta cheese
* Olive oil
* Balsamic Vinegar
* 1 tsp. lemon juice
* Kosher salt
* Cut your watermelon into 1 inch thick rectangular pieces. Place them on a hot grill for about 1-2 minutes on each side to caramelize & create grill marks.
* Remove them from the grill & refrigerate to chill the watermelon.
* Slice your tomatoes, slice your red onion into fine rounds, crumble the feta, & place to a side.
* When you are ready to assemble, dress your greens.
* After you have washed & thoroughly dried your micro-arugula, mix in 1 tbsp Olive Oil, 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, & 1 tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Gently toss.
* Place your grilled watermelon pieces on a platter.
* Dress them lightly with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with kosher salt.
* Add your heirloom tomato, thinly sliced rounds of red onion, a generous mound of your dressed micro-arugula, and finish with crumbled feta.
I hope this grilled watermelon salad makes its debut at your next gathering!
Enjoy the Holiday Weekend!