And then I’ve thought about making it on and off since then… for like a year.
But now that it’s Valentine’s Day and I’m DIYnspired again lately (YAY) now is actually the perfect time.
Life has a way of working out exactly the way it’s supposed to…
Anyway. Last Friday night, I finally made it, and I love it. Or shall I say, I LOVED it!
I would have LOVED to use rainbow crystals like the Gucci one but I used the closest option I had, which were iridescent stones, and have a pretty pastel-color-disco-party feel when the light hits them…
And in the end, I’ll probably wear this color scheme a lot more than I’d wear the rainbow one, but it’s so pretty, don’t you think…
For instance, if you can find L-O-V-E-D letter patches in black or gold, you could hand stitch the letters together and use a ribbon on the ends for a closure to tie in the back and then bedazzle the letters… that would work too and look super cute.
But for now, this is how I made mine.
Here’s What You’ll Need…
* LOVED template (I used that image above and just printed it out at 100%) worked perfectly. I’m hoping if you pull it from here, it will work the same for you. Otherwise, go to Gucci and download a the original image like I did, then size it down until you get the size you want.
* Flat back crystals or gemstones in any color you choose!
* Large clear hair elastic (optional)
* E6000 Adhesive
* Velcro – or your choice of closure
NOTE: I used pencil and traced right to the front knowing the pencil would slightly disappear and not be an issue. If you need to use a colored pencil, marker, etc. flip your leather over and trace it on the back BUT MAKE SURE to flip your template as well or else your choker will say DEVOL 🙂
* Using a ruler, draw straight lines out from the L and the D and cut along them.
* IF you’re using velcro as a closure like I did, you need one layer to overlap the other by almost an inch.
* Cut away the excess.
* Stick your velcro to one side of the leather firmly. Peel the sticky back off the top – THEN – hold it up and around your neck and set it in place while it’s around your neck so you get the perfect fit. You can pull it on and off a few times to get the placement right if you need to -THEN- cut a new piece and firmly stick it into position.
Will Look Something Like This…
* I had to let mine dry for a while before finishing.
Time to Bedazzle, Baby!
* My stones have sticky backs, but you know they never last, so after setting them all in place, I glued them securely with E6000 (because it’s the best) and let it dry over night.
* NOTE – you don’t HAVE to add the crystals at all, in fact it looks pretty cool just as black leather BUT because the middle letters run into each other AND the L and D also turn into the rest of the choker, the letters aren’t formed entirely the crystals help to really define the word better.
My inspiration was Gucci, so I went with the crystals.