I’ve been dreaming of doing this simple DIY for weeks now… I’m not sure why it took me so long, but yesterday I finally whipped it up and I’m in love. Wear it to top off a simple sweater & boom! it’s unique! Wear it against bare skin and even layer it over other necklaces and chains for a couture statement look. Use short pile fur for a glam look as I have here or longer haired faux fur for an edgier rocker look. It’s so simple and even better, it’s not permanent! Simply slip it right off when you want to wear your original chain and slide it back on for a fabulous furry statement.
Here’s What You’ll Need…
- Faux fur… a shorter hair or lower pile fur will look a little more chic and glam for this, a longer-haired fur will have more of an edgy rocker look. Both are fun! This is the same faux fur I’ve used for so many of my fur DIYs: Fab Furry DIY Boot Shapers, Faux Fur Vest DIY, Faux Fur Neck Warmer DIY
- Chunky chain necklace, preferably one that sits right at the base of your neck on your collarbone. You can also easily DIY a quick collar chain necklace if you don’t have one to work with. Mine is vintage but its simple design is easy to find.
* Using your necklace as your guide, cut a piece of fur wide enough to fit around your chain without pulling, but tight enough to not gape. I chose to cut it short so that I could see some of the chain poking out, but you can obviously make it furry from end to end.
* Carefully hand-stitch your fur edges together, hiding the end of the thread/knot within/under the fur. You can do a simple overlock stitch, which will be completely hidden if you match your thread to your fur.
* Continue stitching to the end and finish it off.
* Find all my DIYs here