What I’m Wearing…
* BB Dakota dusty rose faux fur coat – it’s a little lighter than in these photos and so soft… had it for a few years now. Last seen here, also seen here
* Old black turtleneck sweater
* Floral bell bottom flares… I actually bought these pants to roller skate in… but while they are extremely comfortable, they are also strangely loose-fitting. I mean, they fit snug, but I also feel like if the wind blew a little too hard, they’d slip right on down to my ankles. This is to say that they were not fit for roller skating. I love them though especially because they’re under $15 and I also have a crushed black velvet pair that fit much more snugly and I do wear roller skating 🙂
* Boho fedora hat
* Marc Jacobs pillow bag
* Phillip Lim sunglasses from a few years ago these tortoise shell ray bans keep finding me
* Dr Martens Serena boots – on sale at Shopbop right now!
* Title: Louis Armstrong – What A Wonderful World… This song immediately puts me in a good mood. Makes me smile. It’s so true.
We had our first real snow today (well, yesterday once this is published) and it was just breathtaking.
(photos not actually shown here, this was a few days before)
I always look forward to the first snow in a new house and new location because it hits differently everywhere on this mountain and has a unique magic and beauty that I was looking forward to seeing and capturing as well… And it did not disappoint.
It rained the entire day prior, which was annoying since my dogs refuse to allow water to touch them and almost wince in pain when it does, tiptoeing around slowly rather than quickly doing their business and returning inside. To facilitate this process I have to carry them outside in one arm while holding an umbrella in the other hand and then crouch down to make sure said umbrella is covering them while they find a perfect spot all the while my entire backside is getting soaked. It’s super fun… that’s sarcasm. Insert eye roll here.
But THIS MORNING I woke up to the most horrible high pitched scraping sound coming from outside and it took me a minute to realize it was the sound of SHOVELING SNOW. I hopped out of bed and opened my blinds, smiled and squealed in excitement, IT SNOWED!!!
I fed the dogs and let them out (unlike the rain, they don’t mind the snow at all) and before my coffee had finished brewing, I bundled up and ran outside and down the stairs to the lake. I can see it from my window, but I wanted the full experience and it was, as I suspected, breathtaking.
The storm hadn’t quite passed yet and the sun was behind the dense clouds. It was still very grey and there was a thick fog over the water in the distance. So beautiful… I always find it so incredible that the ducks don’t mind the freezing temps and are out and about no matter the season, no matter the weather.
After coffee and a bagel (my daily breakfast) I bundled up again and ran out just to see if anything had changed. The sun was desperately trying to force its way through the clouds to change the look of everything and I was going to be ready when it did…
A few hours later when the clouds finally parted revealing incredible blue skies, the sun so bright it blinded me, I bundled up AGAIN and this time went out for a longer walk to take in all the beauty.
I know I sound redundant but it’s truly one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen… and I doubt I will ever tire of it. It’s so fleeting too… you have to see it before it melts. I love that. It’s a reminder that nothing lasts and to squeeze every last drop out of it because you’ll never get to see it again. Even when it snows again, it won’t be exactly the same. It will be its own moment of magic and it won’t last either.
Of course I shot tons of photos and videos yet every time I tried to share something, it never felt good enough. I didn’t get the right angle or I recorded too fast or not long enough… whatever it was, I was mad at myself for not getting better footage. I guess I was just so in awe, trying to take in every last drop, that I just couldn’t. I thought I was, but maybe it’s just better in person and no matter what I captured on my phone, it wouldn’t – couldn’t live up to to the real thing.
And so I gave up for the time being and figured when the snow is all but melted and I can’t see it in real time anymore and my photos and videos are all I have left of it, the visual memory will make me smile, and they will be incredibly beautiful and better than good enough. They will be magic… and it will be like seeing it for the first time all over again.
Happy Tuesday Lovecats!
* Find all my Style posts here
4 Casual Fall Looks from 2021 Never Posted -Would I Wear Them Today?