What I’m Wearing…
* Vintage purple blazer – not quite purple not quite lavender – this similar plaid blazer is cute!
PAST APPEARANCES: First time on the blog : purple blazer post inspired by Rihanna back in July 2008 / here January 2009 using a bow tie to cinch the back / here in June 2009 with my scallop hem dress & front french braid / here in August 2009 in vintage Guess tee, DIY heels & jeans / here in July 2010 with vintage Levis & a cami / here in April 2011 with a black maxi dress and brown accessories
* Pink Floyd band tee
* Levi’s 505 C CROPPED SLIM STRAIGHT JEANS – can’t find the exact style but I linked to similar in the shopping widget below.
* Vintage sunglasses
* Patent oxfords – old! I think these are them at Asos (and on sale!) I linked to some cute ones below. And also, this outfit would have been cute with the floral Marc by Marc Jacobs lace ups I’m selling but they’re too big on me (which is why I’m selling them – because they’re really cute 🙁
* Sophie Hulme bag with DIY Flower Bag Strap – JUST FOUND amazon has knock-off bag straps – normally I’m not into knockoffs because ART, you know, but I think these straps are already overpriced and if you don’t wanna DIY one like I did, these floral straps are it! They’re around $20 and have tons of styles… just sayin 😉
* Title: Jackson Browne – Somebody’s Baby (Fast Times At Ridgemont High) (1982 – lots of fun early 80s fashion inspo in that movie – which actually is kind of more late 70s bleeding into the 80s IMO)
April 7th marks one whole year that Dogwood Tavern has been open. I CAN’T BELIEVE IT’S BEEN A YEAR ALREADY! It feels a little insane to me really, but it’s also a good feeling. We’ve got one year under our belt and we’ve made a LOT of mistakes, learned A LOT and hopefully can just get better and better.
It’s been a wild and completely different experience for me owning a business like that and sharing it with two partners. I’ve always been a one woman show and learning to work as a team and compromise and release control in areas which normally I’d be all over, has been challenging (for all of us) and I’m not sure if being a woman with two male partners has made it easier or harder, lol.
For the most part, business is good. It could be better and we could be doing much better in all areas, but I’m a person who is constantly pushing to learn and level up and work at being the best we can be… and we still have a way to go. But it’s been fun and crazy and stressful and wild and fun again, so I wouldn’t change a thing about it.
We’re celebrating turning one by having A Totally Awesome ’80s Party and I can’t wait. I’ve been listening to 80s music for the last few weeks and there is really nothing like 80s tunes to put you in a great mood. So it’s been helpful through this stressful time of getting my house ready to sell. I also created our flier and promo images for it and have been thinking about what I’m going to wear (the best part) and thinking about party decor as well. I’m all 80s right now and I think it’s crossing over into daily life already… and I think this outfit is proof of that.
Though it’s a kind of mix of 80s/90s maybe, but it felt so good to wear.
I remember when I found this purple blazer and wore it for the first time on my blog back in the summer of 2008… I was ” rel=”noopener” target=”_blank”>inspired by an outfit Rihanna wore with a hot pink blazer, a black dress and gladiator heels. I’ve worn it a handful of times since and I still love it now as much as I did then and that’s why vintage clothes will always have my heart.
It’s funny, going through all my closets to separate the items that I just don’t wear anymore (mostly based on lifestyle and fit) but not one of my items that made it to the selling piles has been vintage. I don’t know why I thought that was so interesting, but I did. I still look at my vintage items as more of a collection… they may be “worth” nothing, but their value is still a million times a billion to me.
So I’m thinking about my upcoming 80s party outfit and I want to go in a completely different direction than I have in the past… and even though so much of the 80s styles are mainstream classics we incorporate into our modern looks now, there’s still that iconic ’80s hair and makeup and BIGNESS that I just adore.
With all the craziness that’s going on in my life right now, it’s a fun thing to distract myself with and anticipate… though it’s odd, that even though I’m right in the middle of all the things that I was fearing and avoiding, I finally have a calm and peace that I haven’t had in a long time. And that feels better than anything. It’s assurance that I’m moving in the right direction.
Happy Hump Day Lovecats!
* Find all my Style Posts here